Family Relocation with Children - living in Andorra personal residency guide

Latest update: 16th January 2019. General updates into 2019
Go to content

Family Relocation with Children

Children and Passive Residency.
Relocating your family and children is nothing to be feared. The schooling process is easy and friendly and is obligatory from the age of 5 through 16 years, and there is the great advantage of your child becoming fluent in many languages. Please see my section below on schooling in Andorra.

There is before the schooling, the business of the residency application. This must be done by means of a family application and is quite straightforward in the majority of cases. Note that each child is a family member from the day he or she is one day old, so the deposit will cost € 10,000 per child (unless you applied under the old residency scheme where the deposit will remain at  € 7,000).

In all categories  of residency when you apply with children you will require for those under 18 years old:

·       Birth Certificate (s) Apostillised/ Legalised, (please note there may be two different types of birth certificate please ensure that you have a certificate that includes the parents’ names – Some certificates do not include this and it is essential)
·       The original passport, children under 18 are not required to attend Immigration in person as long as they see the original passport at the time the parents apply.
·       Letter from Pediatrician to whom the children are known to confirm their good health and that vaccinations are up to date in accordance with the vaccination book,
·       The Vaccination / Family health book
·       A certificate from the child’s current school stating that the child is enrolled and under education there.


·       In some cases, you may be required to prove custody if single parent.

The child will not undergo a further medical nor of course will they require a police report if under 18 years of age.

With single parent applicants the process is complicated somewhat by the necessity of having to prove custody of the child. This can be done by the necessary court orders and or certificates but also these will need to be Apostillised or legalised. This may need to be explored in advance with Immigration prior to applications being lodged.
However most cases are straightforward, and after the Immigration process the Government will require the necessary enrolment documents to prove the obligation of schooling.

Please note that  "home schooling" is not permitted under Andorran law.

There are further requirements for children applying under category D, we will need to discuss.

New Ruling for child dependants in ALL categories who reach the age of 25 in Andorra

This ruling is important and will affect you if you have children in your family unit.

A child will only have his residency extended to the day before his or her 25th birthday, irrespective of parents renewal date. Prior to that date you must apply to have the child (now counted as a new individual adult) registered as a new adult and individual.

This then means that IF the original family unit applied under the old passive residency law, then either the child or parents on his behalf will be required to pay a new bond of €30,000 (i.e. an additional € 23,000). The child will require an own bank account and have a bank certificate of deposit isssued in his name. On the plus side as a sibling, he or she will be allowed to continue to live in the same address.

IF you applied under the new law, then Immigration are not only going to require an increase in the bond (from €10,000 to € 50,000) but also a new and individual investment of €350,000. This could take the form of  the share of a property, but all families that apply MUST be aware of these rulings and take action way before the due date.

If under Category D active residency presumably the way around this is for the company to employ the dependent or pass  to him or her 20% or more of the company shares. He or she then should be able to apply for a residency permit.

Find x
Category D active residency new requirements for family and children
Unique to Category D  family grouping of the spouse can only be applied for after 12 months of residency by the head of household, and this now applies to ALL nationalities. This means for a husband and wife team with or without children, unless each have 20% or more of the company shares, or are a Director of the company only one can apply.

So once again structure of the company is important depending on plans. The children can relocate though either with the head of household or with the spouse if at different times. The procedure itself has become a little more complicated with insurance and CASS requirements but I have a proven system now of guiding you through this.

Further new minor regulations require insurance for child dependents that was not required before with new bank certificate for certain percentages of the minimum wage here ( about € 12,500) for each child and spouse which is Immigration´s way of proving you have sufficient funds for supporting the children.

Another procedural point is that you cannot apply  on behalf of child dependents until your own ( and your spouse) applications are approved. Unlike passive residency which can take up to 6 weeks, the cards for active residency normally take about 3 days. Of course we have to prove effective custody in that both spouses agree for the children to live with one parent in Andorra, but that can be easily done.

Schooling in Andorra

In addition to the French, Spanish and Andorran schools available in most parishes, there is also an independent school where most english speaking expat children attend. The medium of many subjects is in English, but children will very quickly become fluent in most if not all of the three main languages in Andorra, Catalan, Spanish and French.

It is easy to secure a place for your child in this independent school called the Agora International School.
The school offers a multilingual international education.

The school plans to incorporate the three International Baccalaureate programmes in the near future (Primary, Middle Years and Diploma Programmes), providing students with a high quality education and internationally recognised prestigious qualifications.

The school offers the possibility of obtaining a Dual Diploma: the Spanish Bachillerato and the American High School Diploma that prepares students to achieve the highest skill levels in the English language, digital learning and personal responsibility.

The school is located in the La Massana valley at the village of Aldosa, and is for children from 6 to 18 years old. The primary school is from 6 to 12 years and thereafter the children progress to senior school.

The fees for the international school are €750 for a one off enrolment, then €670 per month with additional and optional monthly costs of €140 for food and €150 for transport to and from the school. If more than one child enrols then there is a 10% discount offered.

In addition to all the usual education and exams, a variety of winter and summer sports and activity camps are organised.

I can arrange for parents to meet the director for preliminary visits. I can also arrange for introduction to the state schools if desired.

Please click here or on the logo to the left to go to the school website.

Additionally for resident children (only as the International School does allow non resident children) there are available the state education systems of Andorra, France and Spain. These are non fee paying but will depend on the age of your children and whether there would be language difficulties, in a nutshell, the earlier the better !!!

Once you are fmiliar with relocating children and education in Andorra please return to the
application process.
+376 836255
Back to content