Go to content

Andorra Residency for Professional cyclists and VIPs

The professional sportsmen and cultural

Category C known as the VIP Category

This category of residency is aimed at internationally accredited artists, scientists, sportsmen, performers and so on. it is intended for those persons who are internationally renowned and who decide to choose Andorra as a base to live in Europe. It will be determined purely on a case by case basis, with the absolute discretion of the Andorran Government.

A minimum of 85% of the professional activities must be carried on outside Andorra. As an example a professional cyclist would not be deemed in breach of this rule by competing in the Tour de France if it came through Andorra. Similarily a musician would be allowed to give concerts here, but not for example open a music school.

Please note that under this category you are not necessarily a tax/ fiscal resident since you have to be here for more than 183 days per year to become such. The minimum requirement for time in Andorra for this category is 90 days and movement here is not monitored, so the choice is yours. You can also choose to become a fiscal resident if that is what you require, very simply by declaring that Andorra is your principle base of economic activity regardless of how long you actually stay here.

For applicants under Category C - the applicant must provide:

From outside Andorra:

  • Apostillised/Legalised Police certificates from your country of birth, country of current passport and in some cases the country of your last residency before Andorra. Some personal circumstances can be complicated but I can guide you through all of the obtaining and verification of correct stamps both with my database of records and client s documented experiences and with those at Immigration. This will be one of the firsty areas we will need to discuss. Please note the new and current regulation that requires all police certificates to be clean and that they will not accept any certificate that is not regardless of the severity or the date of the conviction.

  • Apostillised/Legalised proof of civil status. This will be a marriage certificate, divorce certificate or a single declaration form as appropriate, again we can secure these documents often very easily.There are further restrictions on documents validity which we again will discuss.Civil Unions and partnerships now may also be recognised. You should note that Immigration does not recognise the status of "partner" nor fiancé (e). As an unmarried couple you can apply together and live together but you will be required to pay the single bond each of € 47,500. (Once married or a civil partnership carried out in Andorra you can apply for the refund as you would have paid € 57,000 together as a married couple),


From inside Andorra:

  • Proof of private medical insurance valid for Andorra. You will require private medical insurance to satisfy the Immigration requirements for medical coverage in Andorra. The wording of the specific declaration that they require though contains THREE separate insurances and the translation from Catalan causes problems. In effect you require three insurances, namely medical, incapacity and old age. The latter causes the main problem in that insurance against old age simply does not exist. In this latter two policies, they are requiring all residents between the ages of 18 and 60 to have these extra covers. Incapacity is quite straight forward and may well be covered in by a medical insurance policy but old age will not be. For this final category of insurance, they require proof of a pension plan, and proof that is by having signed the pre-mentioned Immigration declaration that simply refers to insurance against old age! We can obtain all of these policies in Andorra where the declaration is guaranteed to be signed and the cost for all three insurance will start at around 1,400 euros annually. Please note that the pension plan portion of the insurance is fully refundable with profits at your 60th birthday. Residents under 18 and over 60 years old only require health insurance which can start at around 1,300 euros. If you have existing medical cover from an International insurer it may be possible to use this for medical and incapacity but Immigration are now making this very difficult administratively, it is best to speak to me first.

  • Produce a rental contract or title to a property that complies with Immigration requirements. Please note that a rental contract must now be in the name of the principal applicant only. As husband and wife this has created problems but it must be in the principal applicant's sole name.

  • Sign an undertaking that they will reside for a minimum of 90 days per year in Andorra.

  • Show proof of sufficient means to support yourself and family. This is currently proven by bank certificate of 300% of the minimum salary and 100% additional for each dependent, this involves opening a local account and depositing the required funds currently (From January 2024) € 49,545.72  and € 16,515.24 for each dependent (including ALL children regardless of age).

  • Pay to the Government (after the above documents have been accepted) a non-interest bearing bond (fully refundable upon departure) of € 47,500 for the head of household and € 9,500 for each dependent.

  • Pay to the Government (Immigration) € 2,500 plus € 500 for each initial issue of the residency card on approval


Show proof of their international standing, achievements and fame, and in order to prove that they require to submit:

  • A curriculum vitae detailing their qualifications, career and achievements,

  • All supporting documents that prove the above, including awards and accreditations (Don't forget the google links!)

  • The income for the previous year, and that means either the profit and loss accounts, balance sheets, or a declaration of income from the previous country of residency, where sportsmen are concerned a copy of the contract is sufficient.

Please note: Translations of all of the above are required in Catalan, they can be easily arranged in Andorra.
If you intend relocating with children, please see my section for relocating to Andorra with a family where extra documents are required in support of children'a application.

The residency is granted initially for a period of 2 years, then for 2, 3 and then every 10 years. At renewal you do not have to be present, the documents required are obtained locally and the process is quite straightforward providing no changes have been arbitrarily made by the resident to areas such as insurance and banks without first seeking my advice.

If you are a national of any of the former Eastern European States (Eastern Bloc non EU countries) then until it is announced to the contrary you will require more documentary proof in support of your application. The requirements now demanded by Immigration for nationals of these countries can be onerous and time consuming, we will need to discuss these requirements in detail, please contact me. These countries include ( but not exclusively) Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Albania, and all of the now independent but former dependencies of the Russian Federation.

So what do I do next?

Once you have satisfied your self with what is required the next step is to turn to the page

Back to content